First day of Kindergarten!
- Come to school a little earlier than usual. This way you can help settle any nerves and have plenty of time for hugs and kisses!
- Please come through the kindergarten gate, and go to the back porch area to help your child find their cubby.
- Bring all the school supplies. Please keep the listed art supplies in a separate plastic bag with your child's name on the outside. You will see many boxes and baskets set up for the shared supplies- if parents could help me sort these materials out I would be so GRATEFUL!
- If your child brings a lunch from home and it needs to be refrigerated, please take it to the cafeteria fridge (not the PreK fridge like last year). I highly recommend you taking your child with you to the cafeteria so they can see where their lunch bag will be (it gets pretty packed in there). Second shelf from the bottom is best.
- If your child eats school lunch and morning snack but brings an afternoon snack that needs to be refrigerated, then this can be placed in the PreK fridge because the cafeteria becomes locked after lunch. Any other snacks can stay in your child's cubby.
- Help your child fill up their water bottle and place it on the tray.
- In your child's cubby there will be a 'welcome letter' from me along with a lunch menu and the parent and student handbook consent from. Please take these home with you.
- All parents are welcome to stay for Morning Circle on the covered court
Don't worry, this is all very common in Kindergarten!
Here are a few tips with how to handle this:
- Call for me or Ms. Danilka and reintroduce us to your child. Make it clear to your child that you trust us and you are at ease with us watching your child.
- Don't linger. The longer you stay, the harder it is. Let your child know that you'll be there to pick her up, and say "See you later!" once she's gotten involved in an activity.
- Bring a friend from home. If need be, your child can bring along a stuffed animal to keep in her cubby in case she needs comforting. It shouldn't be her favorite one, though, because there's no guarantee it will come home in one piece. Other favorite choices include a family picture, a small doll, or a favorite blanket.
The Kindergarten 2017-2018 material supply list can be downloaded above. Please note that on the list you will see that your child is required to bring in 2 primary composition notebooks. These are notebooks designed specifically for young primary children to master their handwriting skills. To the right is a picture of what the inside pages look like. Please do not purchase regular lined notebooks.
*** If you are buying your supplies locally like in Yanets, Playero or La Sirena, you want something like the green 1st notebooks (pictured to the left) or any notebook that says Grado 1 or Primero. However they don't stick around in stores for long especially when the Dominican schools go back! Duplex in Cabarete also stocks a version of them.
Good Read For Parents: Preparing for kindergarten
Homework- Send a summer Vacation Picture!
Students love seeing themselves displayed on the big interactive screen and sharing a fun summer experience is nice way for the students to get to know each other. Having a visual cue helps them answer the who, what, where, when, how and why questions as well as trigger emotions and thoughts of the day.
Please email the pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org before Friday 25th August.
Let your child select the photo they would like to share and take a moment to reflect with your child (or jog their memory- the summer was loooooong!) of some of the cool things they did.